Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter: going... going... gone?

Rach and I had an awesome weekend away with friends, eating good food (well it was food) and playing cards to 2am. Gold I tell you!

I was thinking that I hope Easter doesn't fade into the 'another holiday' category like Christmas for Christians as it has for non-Christians. I guess Easter should be the most important time for a Christian and it pains me to think that it would become a 'hollow' time.

I also had a bit of a cynical harsh thought (one that I can't believe I am about to post publicly!!) Do you think that holidays should be specific to a persons particular religion?
Eg A Christian has Easter and Christmas, but should a Muslim, Jew or Buddhist person have the same public holidays? What about the Agnostic or atheist, should they 'ride the public holiday wagon' of Christianity? I have heard people say (very hilariously) 'get your own public holidays (I think that is a contradiction of terms!).

But it is an interesting thought no?

13 comments:

Modern Day Psalmist said...

Hey - just happened to cross your blog and I'm enjoying reading your writing.... just wanted to say hello from the States. :) See ya!

Billy said...

G'day Psalmist! I'm glad you are enjoying my writing, although i am surprised! Drop by anytime!!

Steve Chatelier said...

We should all get public holidays during the important times in each religion -- including the full month of Ramadam!

Dboy said...

Hahaha! Good one Steve.

I dunno. That would mean that people who don't follow a religion would have no holidays then, which in turn could mean that people would come to church just to get a holiday, which in turn could mean more opportunities for us to show God's love!

I'm SOLD!

Ludicrousity said...

I can' tbe bothered thinking about it frankly...

Martin Boutros said...

Who's Frank Lee? Luddy?

How good is Melbourne Cup Holy Day? Named for Saint PharLap the phour Legged

You can't get much more spiritual than THAT!

Dboy said...

Full of all kinds of wonderful spirits! The racetrack grounds sure are!

Ludicrousity said...

Frankly? DON'T CALL ME FRANKLY!!!!!!! Haven't you seen that lano & woodley episode? Soooooo funny!!!

Martin Boutros said...

If I turned 21 would you give me a L&W DVD?? PLEEEEEEEEEEEAASE???? Just ggive guru the over - stick a pirated naruro or bleach thing in there, he'll never know

mwhahahahaha

(My first mwhahahahaha for months, YES!)

wire said...

Easter has become as hollow as the sweet Cadbury eggs that BROUGHT ABOUT IT'S DOOM!!!

Dboy said...

HAHAHAHA!

Ludicrousity said...

Haha! Nice one wire! SO much chocolate...

Dboy said...

Doom? And chocolate? The prophecy has now been fulfilled...