Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Vertical and Horizontal Communion

Sunday night saw an awesome time at church. We did some worship, then I spoke about thanksgiving and how important it is that we give thanks to God. We then had a time of communion. I had been thinking lately that we 'miss out' on one part of communion. We so often take communion and in a quiet solemn time, reflect on what Jesus has done for me and thank him for dying for me. We are encouraged to have some time, just God and I. That is the 'vertical' relationship - the relationship between God and an individual.

But I believe there is suppose to be more. The idea that we are one body (Paul talks in Corinthians about the significance of breaking one loaf to signify one body) seems to often be missed.

So on Sunday night after sharing how I imagined the last supper to be (a bunch of blokes having a good time, telling jokes, retelling stories etc) I asked people to come and get a cup of juice and some bread and to find two other people that they had not spoken to in the last month. I encouraged them to 'catch up', have a yak, talk, tell a joke, tell a story and finish up by sharing some stuff that they are thankful for. That is the horizontal part of communion - the relationship between two or more people in a community in the name of Jesus.

What a great time it proved to be and the feedback from people was positive.

4 comments:

Ludicrousity said...

That sounds fantastic Billy! Sorry I missed it! I think we often individualise Christianity and miss out on the community we were designed to live in.

Dr Dan said...

And adding to that miss out on having a relaxing time with each other because of the structure we put into place. Its often those ridged rules and regulations that we try and rid ourselves of when we talk/dream about the ideal church community. In fact, I think we have that where we are, the flexibility to relax the rules and enjoy each other in Gods presence. Nice work little bro, I like your thinking.

Ludicrousity said...

Yay for flexibility!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!